Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Darkest Evening of the Year

The Darkest Evening of the Year, by Dean Koontz, was next on my shelf of holiday reads. I like to be scared, I like supernatural, I like thrillers, and I like Golden Retrievers. It should have been a home run. Not quite. After reading some really good books lately, this one didn't make the grade.

In typical Koontz's style, this is a story of evil building for a confrontation with good. Intermix some supernatural elements and you have his formula. He used this story for the advocacy of Golden Retriever Rescue and a plea for the humane treatment of dogs -- that is a good thing. But I felt that it got to the point of lecture, not story. I also found the horrible things that his antagonist(s) thought and did very distasteful -- perhaps the scary part was that humans perhaps do have the capacity for that kind of evil.
Even with the supernatural elements, my love of Goldens, and the triumph of good over evil, this is not one I will recommend.

1 comment:

Holli said...

Ok. So I read this too quickly. I will wait for your next review to recommend a book to my son.